Saturday, March 17, 2012

How Much Does PR Malpractice Hurt? The Case of the Komen Foundation

Some weeks ago, I described the debacle with Planned Parenthood and the Komen foundation as PR Malpractice, as they succeeded in pissing off both sides through their actions.

http://chariotofreaction.blogspot.com/2012/02/komen-breast-cancer-foundation-pr.html

Periodically, I like to revisit predictions I make to see whether they held water, with an eye towards refining my world model for more accurate predictions in the future.  In this case, the prediction was something of a vague one---fundraising and involvement would suffer because of the malpractice.

I confess I didn't expect it to be QUITE this devastating:
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/16/3814718/funding-fight-appears-to-be-affecting.html

Apparently fundraising and involvement in their big yearly event in Fort Worth is down nearly 50% year over year.  I didn't expect that, I expected more something along the lines of 10%.  Making two big segments of your donor base angry reduces donations:  Who would have thought that?

1 comment:

Alrenous said...

"Who would have thought that?"
Outrageous.

Also +1 for explicitly evaluating predictions. Clap clap and such.